What food takes you back to your childhood? This tomato soup is the BEST IN THE WORLD EVER. It’s my mum’s recipe so I’m obviously biased. Every delicious mouthful holds nostalgic childhood memories. It is also simple to prepare and totally nourishing – just what you need on a cold winter’s day.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- It’s made using minimal ingredients – most of which you’ll probably have in the kitchen
- Prep time is only around 10 minutes, then you can just leave it to do its thing
- It’s like a warm hug in a bowl
Is this recipe suitable for vegans?
You can swap the butter for coconut or olive oil, and the chicken stock for vegetable stock to make it vegan – easy!
Do you have any serving suggestions?
It tastes delicious on its own, but to make it more substantial you can serve with a couple of slices of sourdough or my super seeded crackers. Topping with some crispy kale for some added texture and nutrients.
Can I freeze it if there’s some leftover?
Definitely! Once cooled transfer to your Tupperware and freeze flat.
All you need:
- 40g grass-fed butter
- 1 small onion
- 3 rashers streaky bacon
- 2 sticks celery
- 750g skinned tomatoes (although I’m too lazy to skin them!) and roughly chopped
- 600 ml chicken stock/broth
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
All you do:
- Place the butter in a hot pan with chopped onion, celery and bacon. Sauté until the vegetables start to soften
- Add the chopped tomatoes and heat through for 4-5 minutes before stirring in the stock, basil, tomatoes puree and seasoning to taste. Bring to the boil
- Simmer for 30 minutes
- Blend using a hand blender