Caponata brings the perfect combination of light sunshine flavours with warming, comforting depth… PERFECT for these gorgeous bright sunny winter days. AND for all my mama friends – you can just throw it into your slow cooker!
It’s also the perfect meal to for all of you mamas who have been following my oestrogen-gut connection IGTV series and a wonderful transition dish for my current group of Nourished Mums, who moving from the RESET phase to the REBALANCE phase. And here’s why… It’s packed full of plant power.
- Loads of fibre – remember what I was saying about visiting the loo for a number two EVERYDAY? Yep if you are suffering with those oestrogen dominant symptoms – painful PMS, heavy periods, adult acne, headaches, tender breast, mood swings – you NEED have a lovely sausage poo every day.
- It contains the perfect combination of phytonutrients to support efficient oestrogen detoxification… packed full of at least 10 different plants with an awesome mix of flavonoids, thiols and glutathione. If you’re suffering with those oestrogen dominance symptoms then it’s likely that your body needs a little extra support detoxifying excess oestrogen (natural oestrogen and especially xenoestrogen i.e. from plastics or pesticides). These three phytonutrients are essential in supporting your liver to naturally neutralise and eliminate excess oestrogen…pair it with some great quality protein and you’ll be in happy harmonious hormone heaven!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- It is packed full of essential nutrients!
- You can make a large batch of this to keep you going throughout the week.
- As it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan, it’s a recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Can I freeze this?
Absolutely! Once cooled, divide into individual portions and freeze. That way, you can just defrost what you need, when you need it.
What can I eat this with?
All sorts! It would make a great topping on toast with feta, blended to make a simple soup or served alongside fish or meat for a super speedy Mediterranean-inspired dinner dish.
I’ve mastered the recipe! What else can I do?
Fabulous! Why not try swapping out some of the ingredients for vegetables that are in season, or perhaps add some herbs and spices for a new twist on it. Happy experimenting!
All you need:
- 2 aubergines, cut into chunks
- 4 large tomatoes
- 3 shallots or 1 large white onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1 handful pine nuts
- 1 celery sticks with leaves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Pitted olives
All you do:
- Soak the aubergine in cold water for 5 minutes whilst you sauté the onion and celery in the olive oil over medium heat.
- Once softened add the aubergine, salt and pepper and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir over the heat until mixed
- Either simmer for 20 minutes or transfer to the slow cooker for 4 hours on medium
If you enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to share! Upload a photo and tag me in your creations on Facebook and Instagram @wellnourishedclub