Here’s a delicious, happy hormone, energy-boosting dessert for you to sink your teeth into. I’m a sucker for anything sweet, but I know that shop-bought desserts can wreak havoc with my blood sugar and hormones – this is where my Black bean and Tahini Chocolate Mousse comes to the rescue. The black beans in this recipe give the mousse its gorgeous, silky texture, whilst also providing a hit of protein, fibre and phytonutrients. The sweetness is provided by dates (and the optional maple syrup) and that luxurious chocolate hit from cocoa powder, so you can rest assured you are not putting any nasties into your body – just wholesome, delicious and nutritious ingredients.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- The added fibre will slow the absorption of the sugar, helping to keep blood sugar levels stable.
- It’s ready to enjoy within 5 minutes!
- The whole family will enjoy it and it’s a great way to get extra nutrients into your little ones.
I don’t like black beans, is there anything else I could swap them for?
The beauty of the recipe is that you can’t taste them! If you really wanted to swap them, you could try other types of beans such as cannellini beans, but it will change the taste and texture slightly.
What’s the best way to serve this?
You could serve it in a ramekin with a biscuit on the side for some added texture (find my low-refined sugar ginger biscuits here ) or simply with a few orange segments for a more nutritious twist on a Terry’s chocolate orange!
I’m allergic to sesame, can I leave the tahini out?
You can definitely leave it out but it may lack a bit of creaminess. I’d suggest swapping it for a nut or seed butter if you can tolerate those.
All you need:
- 400g tin of black beans
- 10 large dates (soak in hot water until soft if dried)
- 40g tahini
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100ml water (I used the water used to soak the dates)
- 1 tbsp collagen powder (optional, I used plantpaleo LINK)
- Optional 1 tbsp maple syrup
All you do:
- Whizz all ingredients in a blender with 50ml water.
- Add extra water to loosen to desired consistency.
- Add extra maple syrup to taste.