This baked risotto is just what you need at the end of the week – quick, low maintenance and restorative. It is basically made from all the veggies in my fridge and a chicken bone broth I slow cooked overnight. It was incredibly easy and if you buy pre-chopped veggies it would only take 5 minutes to prep and 35 minutes to cook.
I made it whilst the kids had breakfast and thought I may have pushed my luck with the volume of veggies… Baba boy inhaled it and then had it for breakfast for following three days. Little Miss definitely had an opinion but ate half begrudgingly! You can swap and change the vegetables in this dish to suit your tastes or what you have in the fridge at the time – frozen veggies like peas and sweetcorn would also make a great addition.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- It’s gluten free and suitable for the whole family.
- It’s bursting with fibre and phytonutrients as well as packing tonnes of flavour.
- It’s incredibly quick to prepare – Around 35 minutes in total with 30 minutes of that being in the oven – leaving you time to be boss mama!
I’ve never made bone broth, how do I do it?
It’s incredibly easy! Click here for my easy-to-follow steps to making it at home – it can even be done in the slow cooker!
What would you suggest serving this with?
You can eat it as it is or with a green side salad. If you’re feeling extra hungry, serve it alongside some roasted chicken or turkey.
I’m vegan, can I still eat this?
Absolutely. Just use mushroom broth in place of the chicken broth and omit the butter (or swap for a dairy free alternative).
All you need:
- Mix of chopped veggies (I used aubergine, courgette, mushrooms, peppers, celery)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 200g risotto rice
- 800ml chicken bone broth or mushroom broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 180c
- In an oven proof pan, sauté the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes in hot oil and butter.
- Stir in the veggies, risotto rice and broth.
- Add seasoning as required.
- Bring to the boil.
- Place the mix into the oven, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes to allow extra liquid to soak and risotto to cool.
Looking for more one pot or tray bake recipes? Why not try our easy leftover Frittata recipe?