Who doesn’t love the smell of a freshly baked flapjack? These are super easy to throw together, which makes them fun to make with little people – they love getting involved and they (shouldn’t) make too much mess! Perfect edible entertainment for a rainy day inside.
As well as making a fab snack for you, they are also easy to adapt for weaning first bites – just replace the chopped nuts with ground nuts, exclude the sweetener, add an extra 100ml water and allow it all to soak for 10 minutes before baking.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- They make an awesome on-the-go breakfast
- They’re a fab energy balanced snack for little people
- They provide a breastfeeding milk boost
How many servings does this make?
You’ll get 12 flapjacks out of this recipe – plenty for the whole family!
Can I freeze it?
Absolutely! You can keep it in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for a month.
Is this recipe suitable for vegans?
If you use coconut oil in place of butter, maple syrup in place of honey and pea protein powder (if using) – then yes!
All you need:
- 50g grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp smooth almond butter
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 apples, grated (including skin)
- 250g gluten-free rolled oats
- 60g cranberries and/or raisins
- 60g mixed chopped nuts and seeds (i.e flaked almonds, crushed walnuts, pecans, brazil nuts and pumpkin seeds, sunflower seed)
- 75ml hot water
- Optional: Increase protein intake by adding 4 tablespoons of Pulsin whey or pea protein powder. Add a tbsp of cinnamon.
All you do:
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Grease and line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment.
- Heat the butter, nut butter and honey or maple syrup in a small pan until melted. Add the mashed banana, apple and 75ml hot water, and mix to combine.
- Tip the oats, dried fruit and the seeds into a large bowl. Pour in the combined banana and apple and stir until everything is coated by the wet mixture.
- Tip into the cake tin and level the surface. Bake for 55 mins until golden. Leave to cool in the tin.
If you enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to share! Upload a photo and tag me in your creations on Facebook and Instagram @wellnourishedclub