All you need:
250g white quinoa (well rinsed)
400ml coconut milk (can)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp ground cinnamon (to taste)
1 apple (grated)
All you do:
- Mix the quinoa, water, 300ml coconut milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon over a medium heat.
- Allow the mixture to comes to boil before covering and turning down the heat to simmer for approximately 15 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- Stir in the grated apple and add any addition flavours (berries, raisins, nuts, collagen, desiccated coconut, protein powder etc etc).
- Slowly add the remaining coconut milk if required to loosen or soften the quinoa little more.
Additions, flavours and topping:
- Stewed berries
- Desiccated coconuts
- Sliced banana
- Chia seeds (1 tsp max)
- Roasted nuts (peans, hazelnuts and walnuts work well)
- Protein powder
- If you want to add extra protein to your diet stir in a tbsp of protein powder (per person) just before serving. Use one ingredient protein powder such as Pulsin whey or pea protein.
- Add a tbsp of collagen or gelatin powder (per person) just before serving for an extra nutrient boost (I use Great Lakes).
Time saving cheats tips
- Cook the quinoa the night before so you only have to reheat in the morning.
- Make a big batch to keep in the fridge ready to reheat when on the hop. It will keep in the fridge for 4 days.
- I don’t have the patience to cook the quinoa from scratch in the morning and I’m generally not organised enough to make it the night before so I love the precooked cooked dehydrated packets of quinoa (available in most UK supermarkets – https://www.paulsquinoa.com/quinoa-products/pauls-quinoa-3-minutes). It’s not a very cost effective option but only takes 3 minutes to make. If you go for this option you will only need approximately 200ml coconut milk and very little/no water.